This year is the 600th anniversary of Lama Tsongkhapa Day, the celebration of Lama Tsongkhapa’s parinirvana, when he passed away and left his earthly body. This auspicious occasion falls on December 21, 2019.
Je Tsongkhapa (1357–1419) is the founder of our lineage, the Gelug tradition. A great reformer of Buddhist doctrine, Tsongkhapa clarified the texts and composed a number of treatises, among which are several lamrim works setting out the complete path to enlightenment.
There are many practices recommended for commemorating this event and generating merit on this special day. Practicing together vastly increases the positive energy generated. Please join us in:
- making extensive offerings. You are encouraged to bring an offering of fruit, flowers, or sweets for the altar, which will be especially bountiful.
- making numerous light offerings, which help create the causes of enlightenment.
- Vajrasattva purification.
- Lama Tsongkhapa Guru Yoga with recitation of The Foundation of All Good Qualities.
- recitation of Destiny Fulfilled.
- recitation of The Prayer to Encounter the Teaching of the Three Realms’ Dharma King, The Great Tsongkhapa: The Gift of Care and Compassionate Protection.
Together we will dedicate these practices to achieving the same realizations as Lama Tsongkhapa: attaining full awakening so that we can be of the best possible benefit to all sentient beings. Join us for the 600th anniversary of this joyful holiday!
Open. All are welcome.