In this module, we will learn the definition of tantra, investigate how tantra works, and study why it is a powerful form of practice. We will get a broad overview of the four classes of tantra, learn how to practice simple kriya tantric methods, and discuss how to integrate the practices of tantra with lamrim meditation for optimal results.
We will also explore such questions as:
- What are the three principal aspects of the path to enlightenment?
- Why is each aspect important, and how does it provide a basis for the practice of tantra?
- What are the essential differences between the sutra and tantra paths to enlightenment?
- What are the three bodies of a buddha?
- What is a deity in the context of tantric practice?
- What is deity yoga?
- What is guru yoga, and how does it relate to deity yoga?
- What is a sadhana?
This is the thirteenth in a series of 14 modules covering the complete Buddhist path to enlightenment. Students may join at any point in the cycle. Discovering Buddhism is designed for students who wish to deepen their understanding of fundamental Buddhist concepts. The program is designed to provide an experiential taste of the Buddha’s teachings and the skills we need to make our lives most meaningful. Each module includes teachings, meditations, readings, assessment questions, and a short retreat. For more information on the Discovering Buddhism program, please click here.